Synopsis: This beloved adaptation of the Broadway stage hit stars Audrey Hepburn as Eliza Doolittle, a sassy, working-class London street vendor, and Rex Harrison as the elitist Professor Higgins, who attempts to turn Eliza into a sophisticated lady through proper tutoring. But, when the humble flower girl blossoms into the toast of London society, her teacher may have a lesson or two to learn himself.
The Review: My Fair Lady mesmerizes its audience with its sweeping music, beautiful large sets, colorful costumes, and Audrey Hepburn. As with all ugly duckling stories there is a very familiar rhythm to the story, but completely elevated by Director George Cukor’s unique vision and interpretation of the Broadway hit. Rex Harrison delights as the snobbish and stuffy Professor Higgins. The chemistry between Harrison, Hepburn and Wilfred Hyde-White is genuinely a joy to watch.
In the midst of all the fun is a not so subtle commentary on the class discrepancy of the rich and the poor. With enough song and dance, including a few memorable numbers from Stanley Holloway, the nearly three hour runtime is not nearly has brutal as it sounds.
The Release: Coming to 4K for the first time, this Ultra HD transfer features stunning picture quality courtesy of a recent 8K film transfer, as well as English 7.1 Dolby TrueHD sound.
The transfer her is stunning. Truly vivid colors and clear, crisp sound. This is the reason to convert to 4K, for films like this that make the best out of the transfer.
Special Features: The Blu-ray disc includes the previously released content.
- More Leverly Than Ever: The Making of My Fair Lady Then & Now
- 1963 Production Kick-Off Dinner
- Los Angeles Premiere 10/28/1964
- British Premiere
- George Cukor Directs Baroness Bina Rothschild
- Rex Harrison Radio Interview
- Production Tests – Lighting – Wilfred Hyde White make-up – Rain/set – Covent Garden lighting test – Alt.Higgins/Pickering screen test
- Alternate Audrey Hepburn Vocals – Show Me – Wouldn’t It Be Loverly
- Comments on a Lady – Andrew Lloyd Webber – Martin Scorsese
- Theatrical Featurettes
- Story of a Lady
- Design for a Lady
- The Fairest Fair Lady
- Theatrical Reissue: Illustrations
- Theatrical Reissue: Illustrations Reserved Seats Trailer
- Theatrical Reissue: Illustrations Awards
- Theatrical Reissue
- Awards – Rex Harrison BFI Honor – Rex Harrison Golden Globe Acceptance Speech – Academy Awards Ceremony Highlights 4/5/1065
Running Time: 2hr 50m